Thursday, January 10, 2008

Farewell Sir Edmund Hillary

Digg!

I just saw an article on Yahoo news that the famed adventurer and philanthropist, Sir Edmund Hillary died. Ok, to be honest I thought he was already dead. So, I was shocked to see the news article. I don't remember ever hearing any recent news stories about him. So, I decided to read the Yahoo article and I'm glad I did.
I didn't realize what an awesome person he was and how much good he brought to the people of Nepal after he became famous for climbing Mount Everest. My favorite quote of his from the article was where he talks about people being successful in life "Hillary summarized it for schoolchildren in 1998, when he said one didn't have to be a genius to do well in life.
"I think it all comes down to motivation. If you really want to do something, you will work hard for it," he said before planting some endangered Himalayan oaks in the school grounds."

What an inspirational person. The article talks about how humble he was and how he used his fame for doing so many positive things around the world, especially in Nepal. Now, if only the Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan's of the world could see how you really should use your fame. Sir Edmund Hillary. A class act. This blog entry is in honor of you sir.

If you'd like to read more about Sir Edmund Hillary, you can check out the story I read on Yahoo News at the following link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080110/ap_on_re_au_an/obit_edmund_hillary

No comments:

Blog Archive