Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Pioneer Woman Perfect Pound Cake Review

Digg!

Have you heard of the Pioneer Woman and her Perfect Pound Cake? I've recently discovered her blog and decided I wanted to tackle this recipe. I'm a sucker for a good pound cake. And this recipe really intrigued me because it has butter and lemon extracts and you also use sprite/sierra mist/7 Up.

So, I decided to whip this cake up about a week ago. I have always liked baking, but I've especially liked doing it more lately because it has given me the chance to bond with my little guy Sawyer. I like baking and cooking with him because it is providing me with a way to work on following instructions and counting. I think it is great to sneak in some learning during a fun activity.

The recipe calls for three sticks of butter, but I switched one of those out with a stick of butter flavored Crisco. When I make cookies, I do this a lot. I've found that it really intensifies the flavor of the cookies and I thought I'd like it in this recipe. Since it calls for the butter flavored extract, I figured how could more butter flavor hurt? It works for Paula Deen, right?

As you can see from the first picture, the top of the pound cake came out with a beautiful crust. Then when I popped it out of the pan a little bit of it stuck. Which was annoying because I felt like I put a fair amount of cooking spray in the pan.


When we had the taste test, my picky eater Sawyer decided to pass on his piece after the first bite. Dh and I finished our pieces. And then I may have had another. But who is counting?
So now down to the nitty gritty. I know the name of this recipe is the perfect pound cake, but I don't think I can call it that. It is a good pound cake and yeah I'd recommend it, but it isn't the perfect pound cake. The most perfect, most delectable, moist, tasty pound cake I've ever eaten is the pound cake recipe I got from my friend Lynn who lives in Georgia. It is her momma's coconut pound cake. That recipe is the perfect pound cake recipe. Even if you are someone who doesn't like pound cake, you'll love that recipe. Because you could easily omit the coconut and it is still just fabulous. No disrespect to The Pioneer Woman because I love her bunches, but I like Lynn's momma's pound cake better.
I am going to give this recipe another try, but I want to play around with changing the flavors of the extracts. I think that is one thing I love about the pound cake. The recipe is basic and you can change it up in so many ways.
Here is a link to The Pioneer Woman's recipe if you want to give it a try yourself. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/perfect-pound-cake/ I'm going to try to see if I can get in touch with Lynn to make sure it is ok to share her momma's pound cake recipe now that I've raved about it. I don't want to leave y'all hanging. :)
So that is all from my homestead. They are calling for more snow here tonight. Spring just can't get here fast enough.
Hope you are having a great day in your neck of the woods!
(Edit: If you are popping over from Money Saving Mom, welcome! I hope you'll come back and check out my blog often. I like to think of it as a conversation with girlfriends. Thanks for stopping by. Y'all come back now!)

Blog Archive