Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Harvest Cream Soup by Pampered Chef

Digg!
The weather has cooled down here in Virginia and so that has made me change my game plan when it comes to dinner.  I've been wanting to try some new recipes and make some hearty meals using in season ingredients.  So I flipped through my Pampered Chef Quick Vegetarian Main Dishes cook book.  I've wanted to have more vegetables in our diet, so I thought it might be nice to try something from this cook book.

I chose to make the Harvest Cream Soup.  The first picture is of my roasted vegetables.  And of course the second is the finished product. 


I liked this soup, but dh said he thought it was rich and that you wouldn't want to eat more than a bowl.  I served a Roasted Garlic Italian Demi Loaf of bread with the soup. I bought that at Kroger.  I think having a good, chewy bread is perfect with this soup.  I have a ton of this soup and I'm wondering how well it would freeze. I think I may give that a try.  Another thing of note, I like the taste of the soup, but I felt like it needed something else.  The leek taste is pretty strong.  When I make it again, I am going to roast one sweet potato and add that in to the blend. I'm wondering if adding a touch of sweetness will balance it. 

I would say that if you have a busy schedule, I'd recommend cutting up the butternut squash and leeks the night before.  That way all you have to do is roast your veggies and then puree them.

When I made this, I didn't add the ginger root juice or sour cream at the end.  Next time I will add those. I ran out of time trying to get this on the table.

So have you ever made this recipe before, or do you have a home made soup recipe to share?  I'd love to hear what you are cooking.

Harvest Cream Soup

1 lb butternut squash
2 leeks (white and light green portions only)
1 lb baby carrots (about 3 cups)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove
Salt and course black pepper
2 cans vegetable broth
1 can evaporated milk
1 one inch piece unpeeled ginger rood
Reduced fat sour cream

Preheat oven to 350. Cut squash into 1 inch pieces. Cut leeks in half length wise then into 2 inch pieces. Combine squash, leaks, carrots oil and garlic pressed with Garlic Press.  Add to mixing bowl and toss.  Season with salt and pepper if desired.

Arrange vegetables in a single layer on Large Bar Pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until vegetables are tender and deep golden brown. Remove pan from oven to Stackable Cooling Rack.

Combine half of the vegetables with half of the broth in blender. Cover; blend until smooth. Pour vegetables into 4 qt. Casserole. (NOTE: I just put mine in a pot on my stove) Repeat with remaining vegetable mixture and broth. Add evaporated milk to Casserole; mix well.  Cook over medium heat 5-6 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.

Grate ginger root using Microplane Adjustable Grater. Gather ginger root in palm of your hand and squeeze over soup to yield 2 tsp; discard flesh. Stir juice into soup just before serving. Season to tasted with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls; swirl in sour cream, if desired.

Hope you are having a great day in your neck of the woods!

(If you are hopping over from Amanda's blog Serenity Now thanks so much for stopping by!)

1 comment:

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Love butternut squash! Thanks for sharing your recipe. :)

Blog Archive