Monday, November 17, 2008

Brunch Ideas Week One - The Bread Edition

Digg!
Hello everyone. We are hanging in there and still not getting much sleep. I think I'm asking Santa for a good night's sleep this year. LOL

I thought it would be fun to start a running theme of posts for the next two weeks that focus on brunch recipes. In the last few years, I've started making brunch foods for us on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I've found having a few things like this is great to make things festive, but also keeps us filled until it is time to eat a later lunch or dinner with our family.

While looking through my recipes, I found that I have a number of different bread recipes. So, every day this week I'll be sharing a bread recipe with you. My first thought was these are great for brunch ideas, but with times being tight for a lot of folks, making something home made as Christmas gifts is something to consider too.

Today's recipe is a Paula Deen recipe I saw her make on her show. I made this month's ago and took it to our MOPS group. It got rave reviews and many folks asked for the recipe.

Nutty Orange Coffee Cake

3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 teaspoons orange zest
2 (12-ounce) cans refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (10 count)
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a small bowl, combine the granulated sugar, pecans, and zest; set aside. Separate the biscuits. Place about 3/4 teaspoon cream cheese in the center of each biscuit. Fold each biscuit in half over the cheese, pressing the edges to seal. Dip the biscuits in melted butter, then dredge in the granulated sugar mixture. Place the biscuits, curved-side down, in a single layer in the hollows of a lightly greased 12-cup bundt pan, spacing them evenly (do not stack). Place any remaining biscuits around the tube, filling any gaps. Drizzle any remaining butter over the biscuits, and sprinkle with any remaining sugar mixture. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown. Immediately invert the cake onto a serving platter. Combine the confectioners' sugar and orange juice, stirring well; drizzle the glaze over the warm cake. Serve warm.

No comments: