Friday, January 28, 2011

Let's Dish

Digg!
Today is a yucky weather day here at my house. It is going between rain/sleet/snow.  And later today I have to take dinner to a neighbor who had surgery earlier in the week.

When the weather gets cold and dreary, I get inspired to cook a big meal.  So night I'm making the same dish for us and for my neighbor. I decided I'm going to roast a whole chicken.  I don't hear many people doing this these days, but I love roasting a chicken in the oven because to me it is the smaller version of making Thanksgiving and instead of roasting a turkey I'm doing the chicken. 

I love using the Reynolds Roasting bags that I use for cooking a turkey to roast my chicken.  It makes it so easy to have the chicken turn out tender. If you've never cooked a whole chicken before, I recommend doing it that way.

I'm going to be making sweat potato casserole and green bean casserole, as well as Rhodes yeast rolls. I have to admit the Rhodes are my favorite.  You have to plan ahead and give them a good 3-5 hours to rise, but they are worth it.  When I was growing up I had a sweet neighbor named Mabel who used to live beside my family.  My dad used to go over and help her out if she needed something fixed, a light bulb changed, etc.   Whenever you went to Mabel's house it smelled like heaven.  She was a wonderful cook.  When my dad would help her out, she would almost always make us a batch of yeast rolls.  They are hands down the best yeast rolls I've ever tasted.  I wish I'd been old enough to ask Mable for her recipe.  I've often thought of those rolls and Rhodes are the closest I can get to them.

So, that is what is going on here today.  What are you favorite things to eat/cook when the weather gets yucky?

Hope you are having a great day in your neck of the woods.

No comments:

Blog Archive