Monday, April 16, 2012

Ann's Coconut Pie

Digg!
We've had some great weather here and it is almost as though we've skipped spring and jumped right into summer. The boys aren't complaining since I've been able to get out the water table and they get to have ice cream sandwiches outside as an occasional treat.

And speaking of treats, today I wanted to share one of my favorite recipes that is near and dear to my heart.  This recipe is from a wonderful lady who was like a grandmother to me.  Her name was Ann and she was the neighbor who lived behind us when I was growing up.

I had the unusual and wonderful experience of living in the same house my whole life until I grew up and moved out on my own.  And up until about five years ago, my parents were still in the same house.  And up until that time, Ann lived in the house behind until she had some health issues and had to move in with a lady who cared for her.

Ann was a gem and there will never be another person like her.  She was married and her husband passed away when I was about five.  I vaguely remember him.  I loved them both and they were good people.  They never had any children, but Ann was close to us and she had nieces and nephews and great nieces and nephews she was close to as well. 

Ann was a wonderful cook and I was so blessed to be in her kitchen and watch her cook.  She loved trying out recipes and was kind and would share her creations with us a lot.  It always smelled good in her kitchen.

Yesterday I made Ann's coconut pie recipe.  My in laws like when I make it, so I shared one of the pies with them.  And we kept one which you see pictured below.  I got a little teary in the car on the way to my in laws thinking about Ann and how much I miss her.  Through her kind actions she touched a lot of people in such a positive way and she was always well thought of in the community.  So I hope you'll give Ann's coconut pie recipe a try.  And if you are like Ann, you'll share one of your pies with someone else. 

Ann's Coconut Pie

1 1/2 cups sugar
2 unbaked pie shells (I find deep dish to work the best)
1/4 cup margarine
2 tablespoons flour
4 eggs slightly beaten
1 cup of milk
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla
1 small can or bag (7 oz.) coconut (I usually use a whole bag of coconut, sometimes a big bag)  You will need more than 3 1/2 oz to make it thick.

Mix flour and sugar. Stir in margarine. Add eggs, milk, vanilla, and coconut.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes until brown.  The center should be set and not jiggle.  (I find I have to bake mine a little longer to get it to set).

Enjoy!



Hope you are having a great day in your neck of the woods!

No comments: