Thursday, May 10, 2012

Strawberry Pie

Digg!
Oh blogging, how I've missed you.  We've had a lot of stressful doctors appointments recently, so things have been a bit chaotic.  For those new to my blog, my five year old son was a 25 week preemie at birth. So as you can imagine, there are lots of things we deal with as a result of his prematurity.  I could write a book.  And may one day.  But in between all of that stuff, we had a chance to go and pick strawberries at the strawberry patch over the weekend. 

In years past, I've posted about making freezer jam with the strawberries we've picked at the patch.  This year I made a batch as well, but my favorite thing I made this year were 4 strawberry pies.  Two we ate, one we gave away, and one went to Bunco with me. 

I love having strawberry pie at this time of the year. Recently I shared a recipe and a story about my childhood neighbor and friend, Ann.  Well, when I was growing up my neighbor Ann would always make this pie for my mom's birthday.  We had a neighbor who live beside Ann who had a large garden.  He would always plant strawberries and plant them at the end of the garden closest to our house and Ann's house.  So we all could go and pick strawberries whenever we wanted.  It is one of my fondest childhood memories. 

So here is Ann's Strawberry Pie Recipe



Ann's Strawberry Pie

Combine:

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 tbsp cornstarch

Cook until it thickens and changes from white to translucent.  Remove from heat. Add a few drops of red food coloring (I omit this and it is fine).  Add 4 tbsp of strawberry jello.  Stir well.

Pour over strawberries in baked pie shell.

Chill in refrigerator before serving.

If you are wanting to make this recipe and use store bought, a pint of strawberries will easily fill one deep dish pie shell.  That is what I used. And I don't recommend over filling because when you pour the liquid in, it will overflow. I'd recommend having your baked pie shell on a small sheet pan in your refrigerator. 

Have you had strawberry pie before?  Do you like it?

Hope you are having a great day in your neck of the woods!

No comments: