Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Marinated Cucumber Salad

Digg!
Today I wanted to share a recipe that I made the other night that is a good one to put away if you are having lots of cucumbers this summer.  I know from growing up that once cucumbers take off, you can really get a lot of them coming in all at once.

I remember going to a food car when I used to work and they sell a fabulous marinated cucumber salad.  Remembering that great salad, I recently decided to try and find a similar recipe via the Internet.  I stumbled across this one from Cooks.com and thought I would give it a try.

The recipe doesn't specify the type of vinegar to use.  I had white vinegar on hand so I used that. I think you could use apple cider vinegar.  I may try this recipe using that kind next. I think the apple cider vinegar will give a bit sweet taste which I would like.

I did not add onion to my recipe. If you don't like onions you can omit them and the recipe will be fine. 

What I like about this recipe is it is an easy recipe to put together the night before a picnic and it doesn't call for any crazy ingredients.  You can make a big batch and it will go a long way. 

Since it can be a challenge to find cool foods to eat during the summer time, this is a great recipe. It would be so easy to put a freezer pack or bowl of ice under this during your festivities. 

So file this one away with the Fourth of July coming.  I can guarantee this recipe will add some fireworks to your festivities.

Hope you are having a great day in your neck of the woods!

Marinated Cucumber Salad

1 cucumber
1/2 c. vinegar
2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 c. water

Thinly slice your cucumber.  In a bowl add the 1/2 c. vinegar, 2 tbsp. sugar, 1/2 c. water.  Then pour the ingredients over the cucumbers.  This can be marinated as short as an hour, but is better if it is allowed to marinate a couple of hours or even over night.

No comments: