Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Gingerbread House

Digg!
Happy Wednesday everyone! Can you believe we are almost to Christmas? I'm excited that we got a lot of things accomplished yesterday, so I think we have things in good shape.
Today I wanted to share with you our gingerbread house creation. Sawyer and I put it together last week. I should say I put it together and he put some of the candy on it. I think next year will be fun because he will be able to help more. Also, I think next year I'm buying candy canes and extra candies to decorate it. I love the idea of lots of candy on it.

One reason I really wanted to try to do a gingerbread house this year is because I've been reading the story, "The Gingerbread Baby" with Sawyer. If you haven't seen this book, I highly recommend it. It is a really cute story and can be read year round, but it is especially fun for this time of the year with folks making gingerbread houses and cookies. This is a small book and would make a great stocking stuffer. I've seen it at Barnes and Noble. I actually got our copy after Christmas last year at Ben Franklin.

Some tips I'll share that I found when putting this together. The package says the icing dries fast and it does. I had everything I needed laid out so I could work as fast as I could. Also, because it was really me by myself putting together the walls and the roof, I found it was easier to use my juice glasses to help with supporting the walls as I worked. To be honest, I think it just made me feel better. The icing seemed to dry and be stiff enough that I wasn't having problems with it caving in.

This is definitely going to be a tradition in our house. We had a lot of fun putting it together.



























































Tomorrow I will have a post featuring the gorgeous decorations from the old homes on Monument Avenue located in Richmond, Virginia.
Well, I'm off to do some baking. Dh wants some 7 layer bars and I'd love to do gingerbread men to go with our gingerbread house. Hope you are having a great Wednesday.

No comments:

Blog Archive