Wednesday, March 14, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Menu

Digg!
We are so excited that St. Patrick's Day is on a Saturday this year.  I decided I wanted to do a family party and have our family come over to celebrate.  So we've decorated the house (I'll share those in another post) and I've been menu planning.

I have to admit I'm not really a big fan of  a lot of the traditional Irish recipes I've seen.  So our menu is going to be very loosely based on Irish recipes and some are not Irish at all, they are green and fit the theme that way.  I thought I would share three of those recipes today so you could try them too.

The first is a recipe I shared in a previous post. I believe I shared it around last St. Patty's Day.  The recipe is from Pampered Chef and it is a Reuben Ring.  It is a rich recipe and for our party, I'm planning on making two of these to feed our crowd. 

Reuben Ring
8 oz sliced deli corned beef, chopped

1 can (8oz) sauerkraut, drained and squeezed dry

1 1/4 cups (5 oz) shredded Swiss Cheese, divided

1/4 cup Thousand Island dressing

2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley

1 garlic clove, pressed

1 egg white, lightly beaten

2 can of Crescent Rolls

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In Classic Batter Bowl, combine corned beef, sauerkraut, 1 cup of the cheese, dressing, parsley and garlic; mix well.
Take the crescent rolls out of the can and put the large ends of the crescent roll triangles so that they are side by side making them into a ring/circle. After you've done this, then do the next step in the recipe.

Scoop filling evenly over desired shape. Once you scoop filling onto the larger part of the triangle, take the small end and pull it up over the filling. If you have a little excess at the small point of the triangle you can tuck it in. Go around the whole ring and finish shape as directed. Brush with egg white. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown

Yield: 8 servings

When I make this I usually don't put in the parsley and garlic and it still tastes great.

The second recipe I'm sharing today is a new one I've recently discovered. My sister gave me a cook book for Christmas that was published by her MOPS group.  This recipe fits our green theme.

Broccoli Casserole

2 pkgs. frozen broccoli florets
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 c. sour cream
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 can french fried onions.

Cook broccoli according to package directions; drain well.  In a bowl, combine soup and sour cream.  Mix in broccoli. Stir in 1 cup of shredded cheese and 1 cup of the fried onions.  Place ix a 9X13 greased baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and fried onions. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes.

*Note: when I made this I used fresh broccoli and just cooked it down and substituted for the frozen broccoli.

The last recipe is one I've shared that I usually do for Christmas Brunch.  It is a hash brown casserole.  My brother in law loves this recipe, so I'm making it for this party since he will be there.

Hash brown Potato Casserole
2 lbs. frozen hash browns, Southern style (thawed)1 stick melted butter1 tsp. salt1/2 tsp. pepper1 can cream of chicken soup1 pt. sour cream1/2 c. chopped onions10 oz. pkg. shredded cheddar cheese
TOPPING:1 c. crushed corn flakes3 tbsp. melted butter. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients. Arrange in baking dish, 9 x 13 inches. Sprinkle with corn flakes. Top with butter. Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
So are you planning on celebrating St. Patty's Day?  Are you cooking, or going to a party?

Hope you are having a great day in your neck of the woods.

No comments: