Thursday, September 15, 2011

Play-Doh Play Dates Website

Digg!
One of the things that I love right now is that my kids have really gotten into playing with Play-Doh.  That makes me happy for a number of reasons.  The first is that I have fond childhood memories of playing with Play-Doh.  I used to love (and still do) the feel and the smell of it and how you can create so many different things with it.  The possibilities are endless.  The other reason I love it that my kids are into playing with Play-Doh is that my boys are VERY busy and don't stop a lot.  So, any chance where they will sit still and play and give me a few minutes to get something done in the kitchen is huge in my book.

I was approached by the folks at SocialMoms to review the Play-Doh Play Dates
website.  I had never heard of this website before, so I was intrigued to go and check it out.  And I have to say I haven't been disappointed.  The website has ideas for parents as well as teachers.  It provides different play date ideas with different themes.  An example of this is that the theme for this month is pizza play date, but of course they have a number of different themes.  Under each theme they have "Fresh Ideas" which are nifty links for you to click on and they show you easy step by step direction of how to create Play-Doh creations that go with that theme.  The steps can easily be followed by an adult or child. The pictures in the instructions are really helpful and cool to look at.  One of the pizza theme creations they show you how to make is a Play-Doh pizza.  Another one that was really neat showed you how to make a calzone.  Who would ever have thought you could make a calzone out of Play-Doh?

Also to support the different themes they have "Crafts".  The crafts that go with the pizza theme are so cute.  They have about four different ones you can click on. One of them, for example, is a pizza box.  When you click on it you can then print off the page and cut out and then fold the paper into the shape of a pizza box.  This is a craft I think older kids would like to do.  So once you make your Play-Doh pizza, you'll have a paper pizza box to put it in.  Wouldn't this make a great party or play date favor?

The final link under the theme is the "Snacks" theme.  They give the idea of making english muffin pizzas which is a great idea since working with Play-Doh will work up an appetite.  Also, you can tell the kids that instead of trying to eat the Play-Doh, they can eat their real mini pizza. LOL 

 The website also has a great games section.  I really liked this because I've wanted to let my kids start playing some simple games on the computer to get them used to working a mouse, but I've found some of the websites difficult.  The matching game on this website is a great game for young children to practice not only the obvious matching skills, but learning to use a mouse as well. 

As I mentioned before, there is a section for teachers to utilize lesson plans that incorporate using Play-Doh.  Most of the plans I saw went from PreK-3rd grade.  I know if my kids had a teacher that utilized Play-Doh as part of a learning activity, I would love it.  Working on fine motor skills, as well as utilizing multiple senses such as touch, sight, and smell would be a great way to enhance their learning experience.  So if you know a teacher, be sure to share this website with them.  I think they'll find the information very useful. 

Here are some pictures of my boys playing with Play-Doh and making a Play-Doh pizza.  They both love pizza and were thrilled with getting to make a pretend pizza.



Here is our finished pizza.  The boys had so much fun making their pretend pizza.


I love this Play-Doh Play Dates website.  I think these ideas are not only great ideas for play dates, but they would work really well for a birthday party idea as well.  The Play-Doh would make a great favor for the kids. 

So that is what is happening in my world.  Hope you are having a great day in your neck of the woods.
Disclosure: This post is part of a SocialMoms product evaluation, for which I’ve been selected. I’ve been compensated for my time with 8,000 My SocialMoms Rewards Points. The opinions expressed in this post are mine and don’t necessarily reflect the opinions of SocialMoms or Play-Doh.

No comments: