Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Deceptively Delicious | Recipe Review #1

Digg!

Macaraoni and cheese Recipe #1 (yes, there are two mac-n-cheese recipes in the book)
Well I hate to say it, but our family gives this recipe three thumbs down. For me, I didn't like the way the cream cheese made the mac-n-cheese taste. It gave it a tang that I didn't care for. I used a cauliflower puree and that actually wasn't bad, you really couldn't taste it. The recipe gives you a choice of using either cauliflower or a butternut squash puree. I did use more cheddar cheese than what was called for. The recipe calls for 1 cup and a 1/2 and I used 2 cups. I think if I made this again, I would omit the cream cheese. I don't think it will affect the recipe if this is omitted.
I'd love to know if anyone reading my blog has tried any of the recipes from this cookbook. If so, please email me. I'd like to possibly have you as a "guest" taster/reviewer one day.
I'm not discouraged that this recipe is a strike out. I think that some of the other recipes will be great and I like the approach to making and adding vegetable purees to dishes. We are vegetable eaters, but it is nice to have a different way to incorporate more veggies into one dish.
Miscellaneous
I've been fighting a sinus infection since Saturday, so I feel pretty crummy. I'm hoping that it will let up soon. If not, I made a doctor's appointment for Monday. I usually get one once a year, so I guess it is that time. I'll be glad when this is over and I feel better. It is the pits, especially since we've had some really nice days I haven't been able to enjoy them.
Feel free to drop me a note or leave a comment. My goal is to post as often as I can. It looks like it won't happen every day, but I should be able to at least a few times a week.
Hope you are having a good week!

4 comments:

Paula@SweetPea said...

This book seemed to be on a lot of people's Christmas list this year. You'll have to let me know if you come across any winners.

I was told that the brownies with spinach are good. My friend had to tell her babysitter that it was spinach so that she wouldn't think that she'd put "something" else in them!!

~sandy~ said...

ITA! My family did not rewally like this one bit...we all kind of ate it...and the fat free cheese is nit that great either...to me this was about 2 1/2 cheerios.

Stacy said...

I got the book for Christmas too. I made the Mac and cheese- sort of. I used cottage cheese instead and sweet potato puree. YUM

JamieT said...

I made this recipe too for my 3 kiddos (including a picky 18 mo old) and was fairly unimpressed with the sauce. I had to melt extra cheese on top for them. That being said, my toddler did actually eat it!

Blog Archive