Monday, July 19, 2010

The Harvest is in! Tomato Report 2010

Digg!

After watering from what feels like forever, the harvest is in! I finally got 3 tomatoes off the vine. Unfortunately, these decided to split. I found out from doing some research on the Internet that tomatoes will split if they aren't watered consistently, or they get a sudden big surge of water. The sudden surge of water is what has happened to me. I've been faithfully watering, but we've finally gotten rain in the last week, so that surge has caused the skins to split. The advice I saw online said to go ahead and pick your tomatoes off the vine before they've turned so you can avoid it. So, that is what I'll have to do I guess.

There is nothing better than a fresh tomato. I'm not sure if they have it this summer, but one of my favorite salads has been the tomato, basil and mozzarella cheese salad at Panera. I try to recreate it at home when my own summer tomatoes come in.

I thinking I might try my hand at making fried green tomatoes too. So, are you a fan of tomatoes? If so, what is your favorite way to prepare them?

1 comment:

Shonda said...

Lucky you, we don't have tomatoes yet, but thankfully soon and only thanks our greenhouse.

Blog Archive