Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken Tacos

Digg!
For the last two weeks I've been fighting with sinus problems and over the weekend was sick.  I'm hanging on, but wish this mess would clear up in my head.  Mom's don't have time for sick days, so it has put a damper on what I've been able to do including blogging.

But a few nights I've been able to jump on Pinterest and I've found some wonderful new recipes and one of them I wanted to share and review for you today.  I don't have pictures, but let me tell you that this one fabulous recipe.

I like Mexican food, but because of acid reflux and what not, I am a light weight. I'm the girl buying the mild salsa in the store. I can't take spicy foods.  So I was delighted to find this recipe and give it a try.  I was especially excited when I saw this could be done in the crock pot. 

This recipe is from the Mommy? I'm Hungry! blog.  She has some great pictures on her website on the finished product.  I will say that I did not have a chance to drain my chicken out of the crock pot, so my tortillas were soggy. I do recommend doing this step.  They were still delicious.  I love how all the flavors melded together.  And I cooked mine a full 8 hours and they were perfect.  I am going to use this recipe the next time we have a party.  I think it would be so fun to have a tortilla bar set up. 

If you are having a busy day and need a great recipe that is tasty and easy, this is your ticket.  Thanks so much to Rachelle of the Mommy? I'm Hungry! for pinning this great recipe on Pinterest. 

Crock-pot Chicken Tacos {Gluten Free}
adapted from Disney Family.com and found on the Mommy? I'm Hungry blog

2 small cans green chiles, diced
1 jar salsa, (about 12 ounces; mild or spicy to taste)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 whole onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
salt and pepper, to taste

Place chicken in the bowl of a slow cooker, season with a little salt and pepper. Top with salsa, diced green chiles, cumin, onion and garlic. Cover and set on low. Cook for 6-8 hours. Remove chicken from pot, shred, then add some of the juices with chilies. Spoon chicken into corn taco shells or flour tortillas with whatever toppings your family likes. Or use the meat to make burritos, tostadas or as a filling for enchiladas.
Have you found any great finds on Pinterest?   What boards do you like to look at on the site?

Hope you are having a great day in your neck of the woods!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

This looks awesome, Shelley! Thank you for sharing!

Shonda said...

Yummy! I don't really have time to look on Pinterest boards, but I like food and preschool activities.s

Rachelle S said...

Thanks for the mention & link back! Glad you enjoyed them, Mmm making me hungry now. =)