Friday, February 24, 2012

Trader Joe's oh how I love thee

Digg!
Over the last few weeks I've had a chance to shop at Trader Joe's grocery store.  The closest store to me is about an hour away, so it isn't right around the corner.  But, I've had the chance to shop their about three different times in the last few weeks and I have to say I wish it was closer.

The very first time I went into Trader Joe's about a year ago, I didn't see what all the fuss was about.  I found the store a bit difficult to shop and it didn't help that I was there at a peak time so the place was packed.  But since then I've given it a try and I've had the fortune of shopping at less busy times which has helped.  I've found some great products that I like.

One of the first has been Trader Joe's low calorie lemonade in regular and pink. It comes in a 64 oz. bottle.  It is sweetened with stevia.  I tried stevia in my tea as a sweetener and I didn't care for it, but in this lemonade it is different.  Now I will say if you are used to Chick Fil A lemonade this is not going to be like it at all. But I've wanted to cut down on sugar, so having the stevia as a sweetener was what got my attention. Also, an 8 oz. glass has 40 calories in it which is lower than sodas.  So it has been a great substitute for me.

I've also discovered some of Trader Joe's frozen products.  Two things we've tried recently that we liked are the TJ polenta with spinach and carrots and the TJ risotto with asparagus.  They were both delicious and a great change of pace. I like it that it is a different way to get vegetables in our diet.

Another thing I've found at TJ that I like are their spices.  Their spices have been very reasonably priced.  I purchased a 1.7 oz. bottle of cumin for $1.99 which was cheaper than Wal Mart.  They also had a very intriguing bottle that I bought because I thought dh would like it.  The bottle is sugar, chocolate, coffee bean with a built in grinder.  To me I thought this would be great for putting in a jazzed up french toast, or a dessert.  That comes in a 2.47 oz. bottle and was also $1.99.

So are you a Trader Joe's shopper? If so, what have you found that you like to get? 

Hope you are having a great day in your neck of the woods!

3 comments:

Shonda said...

I love their chocolate bars. Ours is about 15 min away, but I don't go there often because their prices are more than other places, but I like it!

Chic Crafty Chick said...

Wow Shonda I'm surprised. I've actually found that some things at Trader Joe's were cheaper than Wal Mart. A lot of their spices and their low sodium vegetable stock was cheaper than Wal Mart.

lisa said...

Their seasoned lentils make a fabulous lentil soup! Their organic chicken is also good and individually wrapped so that it saves longer, and finally their filet mignon seasoned roast.....what more can I say but YUM! We are lucky because the closest one is less than 10 min away...YEA...so we shop there all of the time.