Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Hokie Nation Dedication

Digg!



I'd like to dedicate today's post to the folks who are current students, faculty and alumni of Virginia Tech. As a native Virginian, Virginia Tech has always had a special place in my heart. I've had a number of friends who've attended the school and I've visited it myself.


Unfortunately a year ago today, the Hokie nation had a terrible tragedy and lost 32 students and faculty members when a gunman terrorized the campus. I remember that day because I was at home with my little baby and it was a beautiful spring day. I had the tv and the computer on and I remember seeing something that there had been a shooting at the school. I called some friends to let them know what was going on. The horror of that day unfolded as the hours went on. I will never forget that day because the weather here in Virginia was the same kind of day as when 911 happened. Beautiful sunshine, how could something so awful happen on such a beautiful day?


For those of you who have never visited Virginia Tech or met anyone who has attended the school, it is a special place. The "Hokie Nation" is set in Blacksburg, Virginia in such a beautiful setting. It is a very welcoming place and I have to say that every person I've ever met who went to Virginia Tech I've always liked. The folks who attend the school are usually very down to earth. Thus, it is hard to imagine that something so tragic happened there.


One of the young students who was killed was from the area where I live. I didn't know him, but my heart has broken for his parents. They came to my church after the tragedy. I think about what it is like to raise a son, see him graduate from high school, then college, then work on a graduate degree and then have him stolen away. Someone with so much potential, someone who brought you so much pride. My heart has ached for them.



So, today I ask that you think about the families of the victims whose lives were changed forever a year ago. I know they will all be in my prayers. Go Hokies!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Hey Shelly! I tagged you!

I have a nephew that lives in Blacksburg, rooming with friends who attend Va Tech. It was a truly horrible event last year. I know the students and families must be consumed with those memories today.